young girl has suffered significant burns to her upper body and head as a result of a camping accident on the south coast yesterday.
About 7.45pm (Monday 26 December 2011) a 12-year-old girl and her family were staying with relatives at a caravan park in Culburra Beach.
The young girl and her family were sitting at a table out the front of the campsite which had a ‘mood flame’ burning from a stainless steel canister.
The flame was almost out so one of the adults began to refill the container with ethanol fuel. As she did this a gust of wind blew, causing the flame to jump onto the young girl, igniting her hair and clothing.
The flames were quickly smothered by family members and the young girl was placed in a shower until the arrival of paramedics.
She was taken by ambulance to Shoalhaven Memorial District Hospital before being airlifted to Westmead Hospital suffering burns to 35% of her body.
She remains in a series but stable condition.
Source: NSW Police